Earth clamps for Big-Bags (FIBC)
Type of dust
Description of the plant and process
• The product was supplied in a conductive Big-Bag (FIBC type C).
• The Big-Bag (1) had conductive lifting handles (2) and was also fitted with earthing points (3) on the side.
• The lifting hooks (4) were made of metal and connected with a plastic cable (5) to the crane.
• A filling funnel (6) with sealing system (7) was used to empty the Big-Bag into the silo (8).
Course of the incident
• Dust leaked out of the improperly fitted sealing system (7) during the emptying of the Big-Bag forming a large dust cloud in the filling area.
• In order to solve the problem the operator called two further colleagues for help.
• Shortly afterwards a dust explosion occurred in the vicinity of the filling funnel (6) and also in the Big-Bag (1).
Due to the problem with the sealing system (7) and the formation of a large dust cloud three opera-tors were exposed to a much greater hazard than would normally be present.
• The three operators suffered severe burns.
• Following litigation the firm had to pay tens of million Euro in damages to the workers.
• The Big-Bag was not earthed (9) and became charged due to the emptying operation.
• A spark discharge occurred from the Big-Bag (1) to the earthed metal filling funnel (6) which
ignited the dust cloud formed by the leaking seal and also the dust cloud in the Big-Bag (1).
• The Big-Bag (1) must be earthed and monitored (9) before emptying starts.
• The sealing system should be improved to prevent the formation of a dust cloud in the filling area.
• Operators must be trained so that they are aware of the ignition hazards which arise from electrostatic charging.
Earth Clamp Introduction:
In order to dissipate the electrostatic charge from various equipment, we offer a wide range of static grounding clamps with cables, which are all ATEX approved, certification: Ex II 2 G T6. SC-04 is specially designed for Big-Bags (FIBC).
Die-cast aluminum construction with brass jaws.
Brass jaws are designed to allow proper contact onto unpainted surfaces, posts or thin materials.
Suitable for grounding and bonding on Big-Bags (FIBC), refueling vehicles and aircraft.
Sizes: 112mm X 80mm