Safety Expert for Oil Storage & Transportation

Home / News / Popularization of professional knowledge /

Case 4: Gasoline in a plastic barrel caught fire

Case 4: Gasoline in a plastic barrel caught fire

Issue Time:2021-01-25

Case 4: Gasoline in a plastic barrel caught fire

In April 1996, a gas station employee used vinyl hoses and metal funnels to fill the plastic bucket on the minivan with gasoline for about 15L, and a fire broke out in the funnel. At that time, the employee was wearing fiber blend work clothes and rubber shoes. 


Brief analysis: Afterwards, compared with the operation at the time of the fire, an electrostatic test was carried out. The results show that it is due to the static electricity generated by gasoline in the flow, or frictional electrification between the surface of the plastic bucket and the work clothes of the employees. The funnel accumulates static charges and discharges to the employees' human bodies, causing the oil and gas to catch fire. In order to investigate and analyze the electrostatic charging situation of the funnel, the charging test of oil flowing on the funnel and the induction charging test of the friction of the plastic bucket on the funnel were carried out. The test results show that because frictional electrification is much easier to generate static electricity than mobile electrification, the risk of fire is greater.


Under certain conditions, a person’s body can be electrostatically charged by friction and natural environmental conditions. The “Personal Electrostatic Eliminating Alarm” device is designed to prevent the accumulation and accidental discharge of static electricity from a person's body.